Friday, May 2, 2008

Coming home to a bulldog

or "Meditations on picking a Derby winner"

We always bet on the Triple Crown races. The build up to the Derby is FUN FUN FUN! Poker is all the rage now but I think the biggest fun is betting on the ponies. We pour over stats and reviews of the horses and pretend to comprehend and then throw some money down on a cleverly named horse, or a jockey or trainer whose name we vaguely remember from last year.

SOOO . . . Who do we like this year? My dad is hooked on the favorite, "Big Brown", who drew the far outside post. He's named after UPS (what can brown do for you?) I think he'll be remembered for being full of "big brown", if you'll pardon the euphimism. Hillary likes the only filly, "Eight Belles", so does my mom. Aunt Carol likes "Colonel John" probably because of his military background. Miki's for "Adriano", to be ridden by Edgar Prado. The longshot, "Big Truck" gets Greg(g)'s bet. Jimmy's playing a 1,10 with a 20 exacta. The #14 horse is Monba. Whose got heart? I like #8 Visionaire. I'll take him to win it and I'll play an exacta with Visionaire, Cool Coal Man, and Monba.



I'll take one bulldog over a stable and a half of top thoroughbreds any day.

No comments: